sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why do people get so Obsessed with blades?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Sun May 12, 2013 7:35 pm

I am just curious.Why do people own so many blades ?Some of the visiting student players from STTA training camps and the sports school on the average own 1.5 Blades meaning some have 2 and the rest have 1.I own a blade that I used the last 2 years or so.

My question is, judging from the frenzy of owning and the in-depth discussion of blades in this forum can I conclude that the worst of a player you are, the more the blade you will have to make up for the shortfall ???

2 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 pm

wytaaan

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
i'm not sure if the worse of a player i am, the more blades i have because... i only have 1 blade but that doesn't mean i'm a good player! laugh

but kidding aside, i think people have multiple blades and stuff is because of their passion for TT? they like to experience everything that involves TT, from the blades, to the different kinds of rubber, different thickness, how to maintain the rubbers, etc etc. who are we to judge them if they are willing to spend their own money on TT stuff? *shrugs* it's their cash anyway! smiley

for myself, i would LOVE to try out every single blade or rubber out there. but... time and money constricts me. so i just stick to one and play with it. most importantly is that everyone enjoys what they're doing can already. =]

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
I can say is u can classify them into
1) players thought blade can improve their play
2) players have reach their limiit n looking for breakthrough for their blade.

View user profile

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Have you ever heard of the deadly EJ virus? That's the main reason why some players have like 50 blades, 101 rubbers & many other equipments! laugh

View user profile

What is EJ virus

Sakuragi wrote:I can say is u can classify them into
1) players thought blade can improve their play
2) players have reach their limiit n looking for breakthrough for their blade.
3) Players hope to cover or disguise their weaknesses thru blades and rubbers
4) Fancy trying new bats n experimenting with rubbers ( being adventurous )
5) too much $ ......
6) always standby more secret weapons....
7) Hear say others.... ppl say good , they will buy
8) BAT collectors ... I know at least 2 friends whom collected and tested not less than 100 rackets

7 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Mon May 13, 2013 10:41 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
GooneyGooGoo wrote:What is EJ virus

An EJ (Equipment Junkie) is a player who is obsessed with finding the perfect blade and rubber combination. Common symptoms of this disease are:
1. spending great amounts of money on equipment
2. excessively pointing out flaws with equipment
3. never being satisfied with their current racket setup
4. having a drawer full of used rubbers and blades

So if you have the above symptoms then you've been struck by the EJ virus! laugh

Source

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
Although im not an EJ but I benefit from the infor gather from EJ.
Too many reason why players have more blades than they need.

View user profile

Thank you Dryvuu.

No wonder they are called junkie,always in a state of hallucination,like someone once said in here, they are dreamers and like to thumbsuck .

Having said that it is also strange to find many forumers being very intrigued by the articles junkies write in here.

Maybe those people are birds of the same feather?

10 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 10:35 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
You're welcome.
Haha "articles junkies write in here". There have been many lately. laugh

I think it is recommended we have 2 bats so in case the main one is damaged during a match or in the first few minutes of the training session etc the second bat is there to take over.

View user profile

11 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 am

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
I think there are different types of players:
1. players who think equipment can help with a weakness
2. players who seek for the perfect match of equipment (人剑合一)
3. players who wants to collect rare blades
4. players who just want to try out all kinds of equipment
I think I belong to the 4th type. Seriously, I derive more joy in testing new blades and rubbers than winning a match, as I am the type that always let some weaker players win once in a while to motivate them.
I don't think any category is right or wrong. I have a friend who set aside $600 every week to spend on drinking and karaoke. Unfortunately, I am allergic to alcohol! I am sure if he is interested in Table Tennis, he would have end up with lots of blades!

View user profile

12 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
Yes. No right or wrong but still need to invest smartly.

View user profile

13 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
GooneyGooGoo wrote:
My question is, judging from the frenzy of owning and the in-depth discussion of blades in this forum can I conclude that the worst of a player you are, the more the blade you will have to make up for the shortfall ???
Just got another view point:
I think your conclusion is wrong. Even top players experiment and change their equipment. How else did they get manufacturers to customise a blade for them? eg. Yasaka did for Ma Lin and Butterfly did for Kong Linghui (the blades are specially manufactured for them and different from the ones on the shelves with their name).
Besides polishing one skills, one should also take time to try out different equipment so see if one is really more consistent with a particular blade or rubber compared with another one.
eg. I can drive with both Tenergy 05 and DHS Hurricane 3, but with the Tenergy 05, the throw angle is smaller and as a result, I get more balls in. Sure, I can adjust my blade angle, but it is going to take some time to break my habit of holding my blade in a my own natural way. Why not just spent some $$$ and switch to another blade rubber that suits me better. And that's how I end up with more than 1 blade.

View user profile

14 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 pm

horse

My suggestion is go invest in a TT coach.Get it right once n for all.

View user profile

15 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
horse wrote:My suggestion is go invest in a TT coach.Get it right once n for all.
There is nothing wrong in investing in a TT coach. But before that, I feel that a player have to ask himself, what does he want to achieve?
I was under a coach in my younger days, where I represent my school and army unit in competitions. That is when a coach is very important. Nowadays, I play table tennis to relax and mingle with friends. Even though I know that there are still many flaws in the technique, it does not bother me anymore. I would rather use the money to buy some new equipment to try, have a good time with friends and share with them what I have discovered.

View user profile

16 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 2:22 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Pitachu wrote:Unfortunately, I am allergic to alcohol!
I think you're fortunate you're allergic to alcohol & not allergic to tt! Wink

View user profile

17 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 pm

MsiaBoleh

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Pitachu wrote:I think your conclusion is wrong. Even top players experiment and change their equipment. How else did they get manufacturers to customise a blade for them? eg. Yasaka did for Ma Lin and Butterfly did for Kong Linghui (the blades are specially manufactured for them and different from the ones on the shelves with their name).
Besides polishing one skills, one should also take time to try out different equipment so see if one is really more consistent with a particular blade or rubber compared with another one.

I don't think,I know you're wrong Pitachu. Ma Lin or Kong Ling Hui does not experiment they are not allowed to by their National Body But their sponsors like Butterfly or Yasaka experiment on the bats they produced using their names respectively.

Pitachu wrote:eg. I can drive with both Tenergy 05 and DHS Hurricane 3, but with the Tenergy 05, the throw angle is smaller and as a result, I get more balls in. Sure, I can adjust my blade angle, but it is going to take some time to break my habit of holding my blade in a my own natural way. Why not just spent some $$$ and switch to another blade rubber that suits me better. And that's how I end up with more than 1 blade.
Even though I know that there are still many flaws in the technique, it does not bother me anymore

I am sure you're delving into technical stuff you're not even familiar with let alone the inherent flaws you know off but decide not to correct it.

Dryvuu wrote:I think it is recommended we have 2 bats so in case the main one is damaged during a match or in the first few minutes of the training session etc the second bat is there to take over.

Now this is the best and most likely example many realistic player should aspire to adopt.

View user profile

18 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
You are right to say that they are not allowed to expeiriment. I think the sponsors work with the players to see how a blade or rubber can best work for the player. The sponsors probably produced a number of varying specifications for them to test. At the end of the day, the players still try different blades to see which blade suits them best.
For normal people like us who do not have Yasaka or Butterfly customizing equipment for us, we got no choice but to test to see which standard model produced suits us better.

View user profile

19 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Dryvuuu wrote:Haha "articles junkies write in here". There have been many lately.

Hahaha which or what is many?Articles or Junkies?Both??

20 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Tue May 14, 2013 11:12 pm

MsiaBoleh

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
For normal people like us who do not have Yasaka or Butterfly
customizing equipment for us, we got no choice but to test to see which
standard model produced suits us better.

Fair enough.

View user profile

21 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Wed May 15, 2013 2:29 pm

horse wrote:My suggestion is go invest in a TT coach.Get it right once n for all.
Hi , the locals especially those above the ages of 30 years would look at it quite differently as opposed to ages 20 years and below .
Many adult players would rather get knowledge assess thru Youtube , or even thru forums like this one to " learn " their skills , whether they have got it correctly I guess it depends on individuals . Perhaps it is also the $ investment that deter their foray . $ hard to earn tis days
I truly agree with you on the first time right approach .
Unfortunately, at this stage, it seems only Parents of younger players will support this view . Besides it is really not cheap to engage a Coach .
I always ' steal' knowledge from my rapport with all these Chinese Coaches around and get to learn4 free ! heeheehee. someday may also steal some from you2 ..., I know you are a Genius with LP !
You have gotta brilliant student in Pierce ! Well done Horse !
hahaha no hard feelings.... Horse .

22 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Wed May 15, 2013 2:52 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
GooneyGooGoo wrote:Hahaha which or what is many?Articles or Junkies?Both??

Probably a bit of both? Wink laugh

View user profile

23 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Wed May 15, 2013 3:08 pm

MsiaBoleh

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Pingpang wrote:I always ' steal' knowledge from my rapport with all these Chinese Coaches around and get to learn4 free ! heeheehee.

Mr Pingpang,are you the famous personality from Yishun who is conducting various TT classes and free TT sessions every Tuesdays at Nee Soon East from 9.00am -12.30 am?

My friends in the neighbourhood told me that there is going to be a banner inviting people to come for free lessons.

Also they said all your coaches are either from China or local coaches with ITTF ratings.

How many tables are available during the session?

View user profile

24 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Wed May 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Msiaboleh ,
I m nobody .... just some kaypoh volunteer helping out at cc lah .
I dunno much bout cc banner , your kawan should be able to tell you more .BTW curious to know who is yr kawan ? He seems to know more than I do .....hehehe

25 Re: Why do people get so Obsessed with blades? on Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 pm

horse

Thanks Pingpang.I m blushing already .

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum