sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

The physics of spin - Magnus effects/force

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The physics of spin - Magnus effects/force on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Zhi4Jie

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Ever wonder what causes top spin ball to dive (other than gravitational force)? Just learnt something new in this new year ... the Magnus effect/force. Here is a video explaining this effect.

View user profile

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
Thanks for sharing on the theory of spinning ball in motion , it certainly helps to understand the theory of spinning balls .

How does the theory help in the way we top-spin / drive / backspin ?

imo , i think it help us to understand better about why and how the ball moves , in practise , i think it is rather difficult to apply . Anyway , the truth is irregardless of how the ball spins , if a player could judge and react at the point where the ball spinning intencity is at its lowest , that player will have no fear for any other spins that come his way ......

View user profile

3 Re: The physics of spin - Magnus effects/force on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Zhi4Jie

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Certainly, knowing the theory does not make a person a better player. Many good players may not know it. For me, I like TT as well as science and I enjoy learning both

Sometimes, knowing the theory might help in the understanding and and improving the game. E.g. when counter looping, knowing that more top spin will make ball dive faster, we could clear ball at higher net position than usual and won't go long due to stronger Magnus force downward.

Another hypothetical example...if one is playing in a TT tournament held at city way higher above sea levels, due to air density is lower at higher sea levels, Magnus effect will be weaker for all kind of spins. The player have to make adjustment to compensate the spin/racket angle etc.

Well...theory is just to help the understanding. Ultimately, it's the skill that is more important for the game

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum