sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to become a certified TT coach in Singapore?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Antiq

Found nothing from STTA..But on SSC website, one need to obtain NCAP Theory and then Practical... Is that all? Do we have to go thru any assessment from STTA??

Any existing coach to advise?

My setup:

Custom blade/H8/Skyline 360 
Sword Blue Feather/H8/Skyline 360
View user profile

Yuna

Club Level
Club Level
my goodness! u interested to become coach ah !! :o

that is not easy path, even if just for fun & side money.
maybe it'll help u up ur level from knowledge ?? Happy

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=551139599

Antiq

No harm to pick up another skill ma... 8)

I would think more for the fun now... maybe money when I retire :)
Not easy?.. no problem, I think I'll have around 10 years to harness my coaching skill, as I hope to retire at 55!!! ☀ ☀

Thks, will post in this forum if help is needed.. TIA.

My setup:

View user profile

edfreakz

STTA got coach course and umpire course annually. Heard from them, its hard to pass the course. Got one Q&A session where everyone pick one paper and read the question and have to explain and present the answer to the class. If i m not wrong beatrice got register for the course?

View user profile

5 SNOC level 1 - 3 coaching on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:27 am

sushi

Club Level
Club Level

Hi i am a qualified SNOC ( singapore National Olympic Council )
level - one coach . my coaching certificate and the technical handling coaching cert from STTA .

There are 2 phases : 1 is the theory cert by Sports council
1 is the technical handling by STTA ( done in Mandarin )
STTA seems to conduct the test during year end and only once/year
dunno why they dun hv it this year .....

To have a complete certificate , you must also attend a first aider's
course , the 3 certs will make a complete Coaching cert .

SSC's level one cert gives u the fundamental theory of conducting , understanding , supervising , the safety precautions , psychological and psysiological aspects of an athelete , be it in swimming , Tt , or other games .

The Coaching Cert is just a paper , what is really important is the Coaching techniques as TT is SKILL based.

It is quite sad to say that most of our local TT coaches are still quite lacking in terms of basic techniques and basic fundamentals .

i am paper qualified , but i still felt there are inedequacy ,like all TT players , i did not have a strong fundamental .
i started playing at 11 , and i was coached by the then Singapore women's Team coach for a few years ....
i trained ball controlling techniques for several years , but my competition skills sucks till this day ( tho i played for SAFSA in active duty )
it is after 2003 ,when i send my children to train with Chinese coaches that i began to learn from the sidelines on how they conduct the basic fundamentals for beginners .
i followed the Coach for 2 years , and in the process seen him successfully groomed beginners including my child to become singapore's junior squad players .... an endorsement of his training methods.
i visited and trained in various china's TT academy with my child and i have learnt quite a bit in the process .

you must have wondered why i did not want to b a TT coach ?
My answer is quite simple , i think i still do not have enough to pass on to the child ....

1) simple example , u are a penholder , how do u know how a handshake player feel ? How do u advice them effectively when u do not hv that experience ?
2) do you know which foot to place when executing a block from the left hand ? Why ?
3) after the executions of a block , a forehand , a block , a forehand , where should the player stand ? which foot should be in the front and why ? etc etc

It really hurts to see some local coaches out there dishing out their so call own styles to teach, resulting in irreversible habits of the younger players .....

Bad habits locked in and it will handicap the players' future advancement !!! that is precisely why i did not want to coach ....

something i hope you guys can give it a thought ....
its not about the $ , its about the future of the young players ....

i knew it becoz i had no proper advices from coaches in my early days , and my game was hampered by my wrong footworks that impaired my improvements .... something i found out in 2003 ....
but, i am an old man now ....too little too late !!

View user profile

How about those beginner course from STTA like Learn-to-play? I'm thinking of signing for that, haha.. so I can teach my clients.. hmm..

Antiq

Sushi, thks for the sharing... Especially your views about why you don't coach.

My setup:

View user profile

cede1975

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Great TT experience you had, wish i had those opportunity. Never too old to learn...the basics for TT(footwork,stroke,...) are there because they are proven the most effective and efficient way of a human body can performed. Once you know the reason why, it will only improve your game. Only thing is not everyone is athelitically adept. a simple example i can give is swimming freestyle, a super fit guy who do full marathon cant even do 4x100m freestyle without stopping to rest, while a normal guy can do 1200M freestyle non stop. The reason is the technique was wrong, the super fit guy was using all his shoulder muscle and thigh to drag and push.while the correct technique was using body twist from waist to aid the arm swing to lessen the shoulder muscle burden, the pushing of legs and arm swings are done in harmonic motions. There are people who doesn't need to be shown to know the correct way of swimming freestyle, there are people who improved once they were shown, and also there are people who will never know even if shown to them. Personally one of the biggest challenge of a coach is able to spot that talent, of course prior to that a coach at least must have the experience of winning major tournaments ,simply because part of coaching is to teach these talents to win, if you yourself haven't done it how are you going to prepare them to win it mentally and strategically.

View user profile

Yeevel

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
cede1975 wrote:The reason is the technique was wrong, the super fit guy was using all his shoulder muscle and thigh to drag and push.while the correct technique was using body twist from waist to aid the arm swing to lessen the shoulder muscle burden, the pushing of legs and arm swings are done in harmonic motions. There are people who doesn't need to be shown to know the correct way of swimming freestyle, there are people who improved once they were shown, and also there are people who will never know even if shown to them.

I've always wondered how the little girl half my body length taking lessons from a China coach was able to overtake me with such ease in the swimming pool even when I was giving it all I've got. Thanks for finally enlightening me.

View user profile

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
nelkang wrote:How about those beginner course from STTA like Learn-to-play? I'm thinking of signing for that, haha.. so I can teach my clients.. hmm..

Instead of teaching yr clients , better u enrol both so u and yr clients can learn how to play at STTA together instead ? 2 birds with 1 stone .....

BTW 'learn to play' is just an intro to TT ..... i think the aim is to give ppl who wish to experience how the game is all about ....

beginners get a feel of TT training thru ball feeding ....
Especially for younger children to get to learn to co ordinate their eye ,hand and body movements....

Usually after 6 lessons , they may get interested and wish to progress further to get more serious trainings like enrolling in the 7 STTA training centres around the island . ( Centres only accepts children from 6 to 10 years old with the exception of some 11 yr olds ....

As for adults ,u may choose to continue with STTA 's other programmes , which i think u can check with them at the counter or speak with the STTA coaches around... some also offer one to one coachings ...

View user profile

Hi Sushi,

forgotten to mention that I am working with adults with mild intellectually disablity.

The course will be probably too difficult for them to grap the concept. Anyway, no money to sponsor them too. 🎅

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
nelkang wrote:Hi Sushi,

forgotten to mention that I am working with adults with mild intellectually disablity.

The course will be probably too difficult for them to grap the concept. Anyway, no money to sponsor them too. 🎅

There is a school call Pathlight at AMK , all coaches who are assigned to the School would need to undergo a special training course inorder to understand these Children , their behaviours and using the correct recommended methods for their training activities .

So it is really not that simple after all ....
But yr willingness to help is certainly a commendable one .

BTW if u wish to volunteer to be a sparring player to the disabled ,
i can recommend u to them .... there is a group of wheelchaired players who played pretty well ...
They were currently coached by our Former National Champion Mr.Chia Chong Boon .
They are looking for volunteers .

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
Any condition as a sparring partner?

View user profile

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
Sakuragi wrote:Any condition as a sparring partner?

Hi Sakuragi , there is no conditions attached .
i am sure with yr skill u hv no problems and u will make an excellent sparring player to them .
if u wish to help out , just give me yr contact ,i will refer u to the President of the Club .... they play at Yio Chu Kang .

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
U know me?
But I maybe don't know u!!!

My skill still so-so.

YCK CC?
It is near my work place.
When (date n time) play?
I'm only able after 2pm.

U know a lot of local circuit happening n i think your link is very wide.
Hope u can post more useful n helpful infor

Thank u

View user profile

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
Sakuragi wrote:U know me?
But I maybe don't know u!!!

My skill still so-so.

YCK CC?
It is near my work place.
When (date n time) play?
I'm only able after 2pm.

U know a lot of local circuit happening n i think your link is very wide.
Hope u can post more useful n helpful infor

Thank u

i know u are a left hand player , yr friends playing at the yck cc every wed night fm 7 to 10 pm should b able to tell u more ....
the wheelchair players train there weekly , just approach them and tell them Mr.Pang said they needed sparring players ...

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
Ok

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum