sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Put all past glory behind as you age

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Put all past glory behind as you age on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:28 pm

This topic has been a struggle for some people with past glory especially in the game of table tennis .

i knew some friends whom are previous Champions in the Singapore arena , some dating as far back as 1975s .

They only chose to play with their close friends. Curious i asked them what was their true reasons for not wanting to play competitively or even in any friendlies.

One said that he was once upon a time as active as any other out there , until one day , in a casual game, some idiotic player took advantage of the situation and beat him in the best of 5 games. Since then, these players went around the arena boasting of victory over the Ex-National Champ . From then on , he felt so hurt and withdrew his bat and have stayed out of the arena since.

obviously the incident had hurt him very badly. I adviced him to put aside his past glory and that he should concentrate on passing his skills to the young out there, he should instead carry on to polish his skills and "revenge" his opponents out there , given his ability.

His case apparently also affected some of his comrades , some chose passive playing ( only play amongst his friends ) instead of venturing further.

Call it KS ... kia su or kia si , i think dwelling in his past glory had robbed him of "true happiness" in the game.

In telling my story i hope that all our present and future players do not fall into this trap , Past Glory does not mean anything , it is just a piece of result slip that showed your excellence in getting your job done ! That's all .

Do not let this short live success swelled your ego , instead it should be a stimulus for bigger and better success ahead .No one is forever unbeaten and No one is forever a loser . If you have it , SHARE IT not KEEP IT something you find hard amongst table tennis players.

But credit must go to our brothers and sisters in this Forum for their willingness to share their playing skills and experiences with others .

Also take heed that all views and comments made in the forum are only for one's reference and should still needed some analysis ,inorder to progress into serious playing,with very precise body movements , strokes, steps , the importance of strict supervision / training by a qualified coach is still the way to go tho .

2 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:46 pm

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
some player after winning some competition head swelled like hot air balloon LOL

View user profile

3 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 am

Yeevel

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
I know of this braggart, who does play pretty good table tennis, going around telling the uncles in the session their strokes aren't correct. Yet when the uncles challenge him to a match, he always declines. Then he always tells people, "There's no glory in winning these people, and it won't look good(on me) if I lose." One of the uncles said this braggart has dug a hole so deep he really can't allow himself to play a match with anybody now, which I totally agree with. Talk about ego.

View user profile

4 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 am

Yeevel wrote:I know of this braggart, who does play pretty good table tennis, going around telling the uncles in the session their strokes aren't correct. Yet when the uncles challenge him to a match, he always declines. Then he always tells people, "There's no glory in winning these people, and it won't look good(on me) if I lose." One of the uncles said this braggart has dug a hole so deep he really can't allow himself to play a match with anybody now, which I totally agree with. Talk about ego.

Hahaha, yes i see a lot of these people too . They will end up playing with Robopong le .

5 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:58 am

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
He lose to himself, not win by his opponent.

Some important game can decide a person whole life decision!
It can be any game , official or unofficial, as long as they think is important to them.
Decision can be totally give up to avoid same game happen again.
Or still TT but not as active as before.

Knot is inside their heart.

But TT is a sport n is about challenge between u n the other guy over the table.
If TT is just a sport without any challenge then not such thing as 'important game' in the first place .

Individual attitude ( + / - tive ) also play apart in decision making after lose to a game which is unexpected.

I also come across one ex-sg-champ:
-hi long time no see, why u r here?
-oh, my daughter having a TT lesson.
-still playing?
-not playing anymore.
-ok..ya my friend call me , need to go first.bye
-bye ... (I hate TT- I hear this when my back is facing him).

If he really hate TT , why send his daughter go for TT training!!
Reason can be different but decision is still similar - totally don't play.

Knot inside his heart !!!

TT will not give up player, but player do that to TT.

View user profile

6 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:15 pm

acm

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
My opinion rather is this kind of situation does not only happen in T.T. but rather all sports. As a matter of fact, it happens all the time in life, when challenged in situation and was beaten, then how to live up to it, get back on your feet and go again. Failure can be small or big, a lot depends on how you are dealing with it. It's your choice, no right and wrong.

View user profile

7 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
True. We all have to face some big & small failures at times in our life. It is important that we recover and try again.

View user profile

8 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:27 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
pingpang wrote:Hahaha, yes i see a lot of these people too . They will end up playing with Robopong le .
I think playing with robot is a lot better than playing with those people! You get consistent feeding of balls, you can set the type of spin you want, the robot won't complain & moan about something trivial & blah blah blah. laugh

View user profile

9 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:17 am

TT is a game best shared with a Group of players with even standards . I normally encourage my group of players to mingle and play with every single player each time they attend the session .i would lead every new player to inttroduce them to the others when they are there . i told them to Put aside the win and lose thinggy , put aside all personal agenda , put aside all the ego , just play their hearts out !

Laugh , yell , shout or sing as you like , just enjoy your session .

I felt very happy to see this old veteran Uncle whom usually looked stern and serious in SAGE , turned loud , laughing and even joking whenever he plays with us these days . I get a lot of satisfaction seeing the sunshine in this otherwise bored and at times braggy old man .

Laughter is contagious ! It actually softened the tensed mood and broke the silence when everyone played with dead serious / cursing / bragging games . Every player aeventually caught the joyous moods , even if they lose a game , they would still lose with graceful smiles and enjoyed the moments by moments of the game.

Players started chatting and laughing on the sidelines , the days past with everyone languishing and looking to comeback every other week without fail . The Crowd soon growed as more and more players came back with friends .

My best compliments came when a player whom attended once , feedback to me that he enjoyed not only the relatively high standard of play , most importantly he felt the players around are very friendly and made him felt at Home ! Something he had not seen in other places that he had visited .

Humans need to interact , normal beings cannot survive in solitary conditions, with which it will bore cranky , weird or even pervursion in a person's character . Especially when one retires .

Shutting oneself off because of ego is indeed a foolish idea !

10 Re: Put all past glory behind as you age on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 am

Indoaro

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
i did it for ego, and shut myself out from Table tennis for 20 years, which i look back is very wrong.
since my kid took up TT recently and training with a coach. i started to have a keen interest in the game again being playing for 2 weeks, lucky basic strokes still there yipi . just hope to play with some new friends in this new nice helpful forum.
many thanks

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum