sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Self-Ranking - Could be Useful in Setting Up Sessions

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Hi Guys and Girls,

Just joined this forum today. Be gentle with me tongue

I was doing some research & wondering whether this system of self-appraisal has caught on in our sunny island. It could be useful in arranging TT sessions when you want to find kakis of similar standards; particularly when you just want to find or form a group who's of similar standard so that you don't have cramp their style and vice versa. Check it out:
USATT Self-Ranking

PS - Self intro: Being the latest newbie here I guess I should. The Olympics has re-ignited my interest in TT! Got the ole bat out of the woodwork. Have been trying to play decent tennis more or less weekly for several years and half succeeding. Would like to play with others who might be willing to take me in & relatively living nearby. ON the basis of the ranking above, I'm probably a rating of 7.0. I'm in my 40s now, & I hope to find out the truth about whether I can play as well as hoped, once I get a game going.

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Welcome to the forum.
It is a good system & can be used quite effectively if players are honest enough with their self-appraisal. Wink

View user profile

Hi dryvuuu

Agreed - I think that folks will probably be off by + or - 1.0 depending on whether they are the 'overhumble' type or er-not-so-humble type heheh

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Well I know a player who is above 10 & will only admit he's only 1.0 & there will also be players who think they are 20 when they are actually 2.0! laugh

View user profile

Yeevel

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
dryvuuu wrote:Well I know a player who is above 10 & will only admit he's only 1.0

We might actually know the same player here... LOL

The self rating might be fairly useful when you're looking for an online player to play with. But I've met a lot of players (especially uncles) who practise and warm up like they're Level 4 but once we play a match they play like they're Level 10. Strategies, baby!

View user profile

Alamak! And all I was looking was for someone to "stroke" with [in a strictly non-gay kind of way of course]

I don't know if the term is even used anymore. I guess I qualify for uncle tongue

Yeevel wrote:
dryvuuu wrote:Well I know a player who is above 10 & will only admit he's only 1.0

We might actually know the same player here... LOL

The self rating might be fairly useful when you're looking for an online player to play with. But I've met a lot of players (especially uncles) who practise and warm up like they're Level 4 but once we play a match they play like they're Level 10. Strategies, baby!

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Yeevel wrote:We might actually know the same player here... LOL
Yup he's the one! laugh

alanwee wrote:Alamak! And all I was looking was for someone to "stroke" with [in a strictly non-gay kind of way of course]
Even after you clarified about the 'non-gay thing' I still think there's something really wrong with your sentence. laugh
LOL

View user profile

Gonecase

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
reading thru the descriptions, i felt like I'm a 8..

but wait, i cant anticipate ball direction which is a requirement of 2? so what am i? or maybe i can anticipate?

so am i a 2 or an 8? or maybe is ([(8+2)/2]+10)-7 ? lol

View user profile

alanwee wrote:Alamak! And all I was looking was for someone to "stroke" with [in a strictly non-gay kind of way of course]
Even after you clarified about the 'non-gay thing' I still think there's something really wrong with your sentence. laugh
LOL [/quote]

You need to be born in the 60s to understand how the word "stroke" can be used as an innocent verb. There are no two ways about it LOL

When I meet up with my Gen 'X' friends and we use the words 'let's just stroke', no one looks at each other in an odd, raised eyebrow sort of way! Stroke in that context means to play with each other without entering into 'game' or 'count score' mode, but just to have a session of continuous whacking of the ball. The same word can be locally used for all racket sports.

I guess it's fallen into disuse. Just like why we wouldn't call a building in Singapore, 'Gay World' anymore, like so.Gay World

Gonecase wrote:reading thru the descriptions, i felt like I'm a 8..

but wait, i cant anticipate ball direction which is a requirement of 2? so what am i? or maybe i can anticipate?

so am i a 2 or an 8? or maybe is ([(8+2)/2]+10)-7 ? lol

I think you're an 8 still. I actually believe that for most of us (with a few exceptions noted above), we can place ourselves quite accurately, with a + or - 1 delta. I want to think I'm an 8, but probably closer to 7. However, I I beat you in a game one day I might start thinking I'm a 7.5 LOL

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
alanwee wrote:You need to be born in the 60s to understand how the word "stroke" can be used as an innocent verb.
It was innocent but it was a good laugh. laugh

Back to the self-ranker, if we are not sure of our rating just drop one level & we will be ok.

View user profile

Hi, all. Am new here. My rank should be 6.0 to 7.0.

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
according to dryvuuu, i only 1.0.
so dont u mind play with me ?

View user profile

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Yeah 1.0 without the decimal point. Wink

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
u 0.1 pls keep quiet !

View user profile

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
I know where you get this 0.1 but I believe I've over ranked myself in that post! Wink

View user profile

hapifrut

Hi guys, I went to the site of self ranking, bunch of sportsmen only. Where got self ranking? Perhaps u guys can help rank me? I'm 35yo, started PP since 12, played on and off, a right hander, handshake hold, experimenting w bat: galaxy t-11 w dhs hurricane II and hurricane 3 neo, previously used Srivers, able to mix more than 10kinda serves each w more than 1000rpm :) not aggressive player though, aggression level dependent on opponent, aspire to be Joo se hyuk one day :)
Pls comment...

View user profile

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Below is the self-rating chart that I've copied from the website while it was working.

SELF-RATING TABLE TENNIS CHART
Developed by: Richard McAfee, USATT National Coach

Rating & Description
This player has limited experience; primarily working on just getting the ball into play using simple blocking techniques with little spin use. The serve is used to just put the ball into play.

Player has some basic understanding of stroking concepts, but has obvious stroke weaknesses and limited movement to the all.

Player has developed some ability to anticipate the direction of the ball and can sustain a short rally at low speed and spin levels with players of the same ability.

Player is fairly consistent while hitting medium-speed and spin strokes, but not yet
comfortable with all the basic strokes. He/she lacks execution when trying for directional control, power, or heavy spin. Beginning footwork is now apparent.

Player has achieved stroke dependability with directional control with all basic strokes at moderate speeds and spin levels. The player is beginning to exhibit more aggressive play, occasionally hitting a “winning shot”. The player is beginning to develop several favorite “patterns” of play.

Player has dependable basic strokes, including direction and spin control while playing at moderate speeds. Occasionally forces errors while serving and is able to return serves with moderate amounts of spin. Personal style is now becoming very apparent.

Player is beginning to master the use of power and spin and is learning to handle pace. Style is now clearly definable, and he/she possesses several point winning strokes. The player is now beginning to vary game plan according to opponent's weakness. Can strongly force his/her serve and receive game against opponents of similar level.

Player now has good shot anticipation combined with several outstanding shots allow this level athlete to use their style against all others at their level. Can handle a medium to high level of pace and spin, however only for short rallies. Often their outstanding shot is a level or two above the rest of their game. The player is beginning to master the advance techniques necessary to complete his/her own personal style.

9.0 Player has developed a complete range of advanced strokes and tactics. Can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hit dependable shots in a stressful situation. Good footwork is evident.

10.0 Players at this level generally do not need Self-Ratings. They have had intensive training and compete regularly in USATT Tournaments.

Self-Rating System USATT Ratings
1.0 = 100
2.0 = 300
3.0 = 500
4.0 = 700
5.0 = 900
6.0 = 1100
7.0 = 1300
8.0 = 1500
9.0 = 1700
10.0 = 1900+

View user profile

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Alternatively, you can also use this self rating guide.

Self Rating Guide

Last edited by dryvuuu on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

hapifrut

Wah, damn... I should be a 7 and I thought I was better cry

View user profile

hapifrut

dryvuuu wrote:Alternatively, you can also use this self rating guide.

Self Rating Guide

This guide is for tennis la... I should hv a 3 in tennis :)

View user profile

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Just insert the word table & it will be table tennis! Haha my mistake. laugh
I've edited it.

View user profile

hapifrut

Ok, if anyone would like to experience the wrath of a kick serve, pls invite me :) I try to play every Mon to Thu for 2 to 3hr, even if no kaki, I practise serve for at least 2hr. maybe I aldy neglect my strokes and That's why I've been lookin for a robot partner to spar with. Also lookin forward to make my own return board.
Anyway, I'm available 6-8pm amk area. 8pm onwards, woodlands.

View user profile

siangzi

Hi Dryvuuu,

You put yourself national level two stars,so you must be very good lo,so you ex national players? or ex inter con national player?so you must be rated above 10 upon 100 lo...

View user profile

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Mr Siangzi, I believe you looked at the rank just below my avatar & assumed that I rated myself as "national level two stars". I did not and have never rated myself as such. That is just the ranking system based on the number of my posts in this forum.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum