sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Come Our National Players Don't Look This Good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Yeevel

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
(But of course, ours play better. But, still... )

To find out more,

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1341817656/top-spin-a-ping-pong-documentary-post-production

View user profile

Yeevel wrote:(But of course, ours play better. But, still... )

To find out more,

[url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1341817656/top-sdpin-a-ping-pong-documentary-post-production
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1341817656/top-sdpin-a-ping-pong-documentary-post-production[/quote[/url]]

do you mean our state players do not look good as in their appearances ? the Handsome/pretty thingi ?

did not quite agree ....Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder ......

Yu Mengyu has an above average looks , Li Jia Wei not too bad either .... Yang Zi is tall and good looking too .

Pang Xue Jie is a Handsome Man !

cheowyonglee

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
to be or not to be...

Last edited by cheowyonglee on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://www.fengshuiawareness.com

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
There are always the positives and negatives in every decision, action etc.

View user profile

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
cheowyonglee wrote:
I think these people have done a good job in promoting table tennis in the U.S

In Singapore, we can't see this kind of thing.
Our government not interested to waste so much time and energy to promote it.Just love to waste money in getting China players to play for medal and that it is!!!

as parent and a passionate tt player myself, i hv struggled to come into making a decision to allow my child ( youth national player ) in choosing btwn continuing training/playing maybe professionally one day vs getting a good education.

Every Parent want the best for their child, after having spent a number of years visiting and training in China's top TT academies , i can share with you my views on why i stood by my decision to make education my child's priority .
if you were me i am sure you would also agree that this is a better choice .....

training professionally and training at leisure are 2 totally different thing .
you eat pingpong, sleep pingpong, dream pingpong and even shit pingpong !!! that is passion and its that passion that drives a player ..... a lot of sweat , bitter and hard training , a lot of commitment , determination and HUNGER . Hunger for success for fame ! that is what young aggressive Chinese prodigy in China possessed ....

Our Singaporean Children including mine ...
pampered , lazy and lack HUNGER and commitment.....
tis is in our Youth of Today ....
Chinese players mostly from poor Rural areas need to breakthru , they have very little choice ... many are poor .... and they are HUNGRY ,very hungry for success .

So , if majority of the ppl think like me , where then can Singapore find TT talents to represent our Country ?

How many Parents out there are willing to let our child commit to train 4-6 hrs/day , 5-6 days/week ......?
what about their education ? what about their future ? can they make a decent living out of TT ? How far can they go ?
What happened if they cannot make a living out of TT ?
i see many local TT ex-nationals moonlighting as cabbies/drivers and coaching Part time or coaching in schools .... for a living .... it is tough ....

i think many would agree with me that it is a very difficult path to take , it seem that Singapore has very little choice and the fastest route is thru foreign recruitment .....

i hope the current system would be made more attractive for Parents such as myself to encourage our children to take the plunge ..... if we wish2 hv a thorough bred Home Team ..... not only that ,to be a World Class Team ....

To which my answer is almost a negative at least for now .
that should answer why Singapore is recruiting .....

"SINGAPORE" is a brand name , as such its success lies in its Economic , Social development and Sports excellence ....
So, paying $ is almost like an investment in Business sense .

i met a German Lady on my way up the Swiss alps sharing the same skytrain on our way up the Mt during a skiing holiday , the way she responded with wows , fantastic, exciting , hip when i told her i am from Singapore , it made me proud that i m Singaporean ! " the Singapore impression " was high on a Foreigner's list of priorities in destination .
The F-1 FIM World series really edged a very impressive image of SINGAPORE .

View user profile

Yeevel

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
If it's only about medals and medals then I'm afraid not every Singaporean share the same goals. The reason why sports is so huge in other countries is because they are hugely promoted to their own citizens. Think baseball and cricket. For baseball, only North America, Taiwan and Japan have successful professional leagues. Cricket is very popular only in some Commonwealth countries, particularly India and Pakistan. Why are they successful? Cos of huge participation, spectatorship and thus commercialization and sponsorships. Compared to table tennis, these sports aren't even popular anywhere else. (American football in Singapore, anyone?)

The US Olympians featured in the program are also facing the same problems as the rest of our kids. Studies, making ends meet and keeping up with their social lives. The girls also struggle with their SATs and aiming to go to college. Yet, they are also taking the chance to go professional. And frankly, we all know they aren't likely to go far in the Olympics.

In my opinion, ITTF still hasn't gotten it. The next sports market after China and Germany to break into is the US! This is obviously what the Kickstarter program is trying to do. It's nothing to do with being biased with the US. Promoting table tennis is ITTF's main objective(or so they say). In fact, ITTF frequently posts news of how they're supporting other countries in building up table tennis on their website. So why not this? The film is so professionally and stylishly done, just the thing to attract new players if you ask me.

View user profile

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Getting into the US sports market is very tough. Other 'global sports' more popular than tt have tried & arguably achieved little success although they are getting there slowly (for eg. football/soccer). When the sports are up against the 'American sports' such as the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, NASCAR etc etc the chances are slim.

Promoting the sports is one thing but whether it can make the Americans warm up to & take up the sports is another matter. It's worth a try though.

View user profile

Americans always think pingpong is a game for small people.... some game you would play in the basement / garage ....

iMO majority of Americans love outdoor and more physical sporting activities with some amt of risk taking . Pingpong is not in this nature , confined to indoor activity, where they played because it was snowing . Pingpong also look out of size for the average 1.8m 80kg American physique .

Also one needs a lot of skill to play the game , and the sport is also not as rigorous and it would take a very long game to burn out these Average americans.

not easy to convince these big guys .....

In my opinion, ITTF still hasn't gotten it. The next sports market after China and Germany to break into is the US! This is obviously what the Kickstarter program is trying to do. It's nothing to do with being biased with the US. Promoting table tennis is ITTF's main objective(or so they say). In fact, ITTF frequently posts news of how they're supporting other countries in building up table tennis on their website. So why not this? The film is so professionally and stylishly done, just the thing to attract new players if you ask me.[/quote]

Yeevel

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
pingpang wrote:Americans always think pingpong is a game for small people.... some game you would play in the basement / garage ....

iMO majority of Americans love outdoor and more physical sporting activities with some amt of risk taking . Pingpong is not in this nature , confined to indoor activity, where they played because it was snowing . Pingpong also look out of size for the average 1.8m 80kg American physique .

Also one needs a lot of skill to play the game , and the sport is also not as rigorous and it would take a very long game to burn out these Average americans.

not easy to convince these big guys .....

Oh yea. The basement/garage pingpong players. But a lot of us Singaporeans also started out thinking that pingpong is HDB void-deck activity..

Anyway, ITTF streams aren't even free-to-air in North America. I don't see how that is going to promote TT there.

View user profile

winning medals is the best way to promote table tennis in local context .

believe me , if USA came in Olympic Champions in Table Tennis , the game will pickup speed in the 50 states across America . With or without foreign born Talents . Americans are almost an Immigrant society , hence , there was never an issue of their sporting excellence coming from a foreign born athelete.

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
what i can say is "They are national players, not national HERO !"

players - only known by ppls which like and play the same sport.
but HERO - they are known by everyone whether u play their sport or no.

to promote the sport we need players + HERO !

HERO - make ppls dream big and far and dare to dream !
but for players -they only make ppls think how long they can maintain the good result !

View user profile

Gonecase

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Hero, not too sure if singapore have any. but singapore confirm alot of ZERO hahahahaha

View user profile

Zovier

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
we should import micheal phelp 10 years ago from USA and he be a billionaire now!

View user profile

HERO ..... ? Martyr ? i tot only for people whom die for the Country ?

Hero in sports ? i think you mean ICON ?

Like if we say Sports Legend like in Golf : Fred Perry / Arnold Palmer /Tiger Woods , Boxing : Muhammed Ali / Mike Tyson , Football : Bobby Charlton etc

just heard that Hussein Bolt may have a go at M.U.
Previously we have Motorcycling Champion Valentino Rossi going F1 Team Ferrari , Micheal Schumacher trying out at Ducati .....Who is the Hero here ?

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
According to my son we do have a HERO here :
ZERO HERO (from OKTO)

if micheal phelp come here 10yrs early then he will still be micheal phelp.

View user profile

sushi

Club Level
Club Level

Singapore should hand pick an *ALL STAR* Table tennis team to showcase both playing talent as well as superstar looks .
That way , youngsters who idolised their good looking players will be inspired to take up the game : LOL Table tennis will become the No.1 sport amongst our young !
i think we have quite a number of good looking youth players in our Countrymen .

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
That true.
U need good number of supporter to push the sport.
Can u imagine China got average 10M ppls playing each day.

Media is also important. After the local TT drama 乒乓园, it do promote a bit but after a while ' all the dust drop back to ground' .

Although younger players standard is higher but TT sport get less popular compare my time.

View user profile

Sakuragi wrote:That true.
U need good number of supporter to push the sport.
Can u imagine China got average 10M ppls playing each day.

Media is also important. After the local TT drama 乒乓园, it do promote a bit but after a while ' all the dust drop back to ground' .

Although younger players standard is higher but TT sport get less popular compare my time.

ya , must tell my uncle ! He is the script writer and story line of the TT drama ! Will try to convince him to write a more convincing most adventurous storyline about pingpong .

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum