sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

table tennis clubhouse survey

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 table tennis clubhouse survey on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 pm

JTL


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Just asking on behalf of a friend. what's your take up if this idea come to life?





View user profile

2 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 pm

sushi


Club Level
Club Level
it is definitely a good idea . but from SAGE experiences i noticed most wanted to play but few are willing to pay .
Overhead and high business cost have ruled out this possibility , unless we have good sponsors and passionate supporters .
Chinese Swimming Club has a good clubhouse,and facilities . Joining fees may be a challenge to some tho .
cc would be the most affordable for general public.

View user profile

3 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:22 am

Yeevel


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
I would. I think as long as you don't charge an entry fee, the fees are really cheap. Air conditioned environment with fitting flooring and lighting. What could be better? Even SAFRA gym membership is more expensive. You'd attract good coaches too and I would think parents would be attracted to buy membership and let their kids train there regularly.

View user profile

4 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:42 pm

janosfang


newbie
hi guys,

Mr Loh (Boss of Happy Table tennis), use to operate his training facilities at SAGE. ever since SAGE closure, Mr Loh had found a very nice location at Kaki Bukit industrial park. have 20 tables. promotional price of $2 per entry. open from 10am till 10pm. good carpet flooring, brand new tables, monthly membership of $50 (with unlimited entry). please call this number for more information 91919254

View user profile

5 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Guest


Guest
janosfang wrote:hi guys,

Mr Loh (Boss of Happy Table tennis), use to operate his training facilities at SAGE. ever since SAGE closure, Mr Loh had found a very nice location at Kaki Bukit industrial park. have 20 tables. promotional price of $2 per entry. open from 10am till 10pm. good carpet flooring, brand new tables, monthly membership of $50 (with unlimited entry). please call this number for more information 91919254

Juz spoke to Loh , he told me that the facility at Kaki Bukit will not be ready till after August 2012 .

meantime they are at No.48 Horne Road ( off lavender st )

4 tables .

6 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:35 pm

janosfang


newbie
pingpang wrote:
janosfang wrote:hi guys,

Mr Loh (Boss of Happy Table tennis), use to operate his training facilities at SAGE. ever since SAGE closure, Mr Loh had found a very nice location at Kaki Bukit industrial park. have 20 tables. promotional price of $2 per entry. open from 10am till 10pm. good carpet flooring, brand new tables, monthly membership of $50 (with unlimited entry). please call this number for more information 91919254

Juz spoke to Loh , he told me that the facility at Kaki Bukit will not be ready till after August 2012 .

meantime they are at No.48 Horne Road ( off lavender st )

4 tables .

true true. correction, instead of 4 tables, he got 6 tables. =))) with 2 robots system each worth $1.2K.

View user profile

7 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:04 am

Gonecase


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
I think forumers here can contribute more ideas here if you publish the following details :

For Members (assuming $0 entry fee) :
Discount on Carpark Charges
No. of guests to be brought in by member for free
Discount on Coaching fees for training conducted by in-house coach?

For Non-Members :
Non-promotional Entry Fee
Carpark Charges
Usage of shower facilities

For both :
No. of tables
Table Rental Charges (per hour or per table?)

Above are just some details that i think the forumers may need in order to better assess the membership fee. Of coz, if there are regular mini-competitions, it will help in attracting more membership.

6 tables, 2 with robots(based on your 1st post with a picture link) simply wont suffice. When ppl have to pay, they are less likely to have the patience to wait for their turn to play. SAGE drew crowds simply becoz it was somewhat, FREE. And they survived becoz they are a goverment-related entity (correct me I'm wrong on this, was never a sage-goer). Not to mention they didnt have aircon, good-flooring and a proper changing room with shower facility.

To me, it dont make sense to be a member as im most likely to be there only once a week. I definitely wont want to be on the waiting list if i'm bringing a bunch of my kakis along. Surely, we all can share tables with other like-minded table tennis fanatics. But more importantly, i got limited time, i wanna get to the table, hammer that 40mm plastic ball into the table/net/humanface and not be sitting on the bench for 2 hours chatting with friends and surfing facebook (i got a better place for that and its called a pub)

OK, i bull-shitted enough of my 2cents. Sorry to make you read a wall of text. x

View user profile

8 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 am

fairgame

avatar
Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Clubhouse is a good idea I wont mind paying if the location is convenient in town (because thats where i live..ha) and the players there are good...

View user profile

9 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 am

Guest


Guest
SAGE is not a GOVT run centre , it was setup by a Former Retired MP , to organise activity for the Elders . Over the years , as the Club aged so did its Committtee ..... soon the Club turned sleepy ...., with little activity the Club soon ran into the RED and sadly the demised was almost predictable , with the last i knew was almost S$600K in arrears and even had its power supply cut on its last week of operation ! very very sad indeed .

Guess it is hard to find another SAGE like tis one anymore.
| the TT club was active as the later generations began to join as they aged . Henry , the guy whom was ever diligent in checking out every member he came across, on their payments for the monthly / yearly membership fees , lamented with heavy overheads mainly from electricity and water bills , SAGE was facing difficult times coping with the day to day expenses . Many Members " pak bodoh " when confronted with membership payments. Some even went into serious arguments . yet at S$90.00 / year and mthly S$5.00 fees , many still avoided paying . how can SAGE not wind-up under such circumstances .


Here is an estimated sum i have made on the similar assumption that a club is runned like SAGE 's TT set up .

i reckon like SAGE with a 1200 sq ft area , c/w with bathrooms , Toilets / proper flooring / perhaps even Aircon , the operator would need a minimum of S$30K to set up its basic facility like lightings,flooring. tables , furnitures, rental deposits, equipments etc , space Rental at MKT value : S$ 3500.00

utility bills : S$900-1400.00 , employed staffs + CPF : S$ 3000.00 (min 2pax ) Time of operation : 9.00 am to 10.00 pm

Total mthly operation overheads ranges btwn : S$8500.00 - S$12,000.00 including expandable items like balls ,toiletries, sundry, documentation , and yearly accounting charges etc. Annually : S$70K - 84K

with 1200 sq ft , the max is only 4-5 tables. work that out it will not be too difficult to findout what the ultimate cost of membership for each player ....

The business risk for such set up is regarded as HIGH ..... doubted it can be profitable .

If you have 300 members , you would need a minimum of S$300.00/year/member to breakeven . Waiting time would be longer and the Club would need more members to increase its earnings . Question is where to get so many members ? Are they willing to pay for this kind of membership fees ? As a member , do you think they are willing to wait for their game ?

The SAGE saga served as a very good Platform for would be Club operators .... of course old timers like Mr.Loh had his ways .... unless you are Mr.Loh , i think it would be quite a challenged .....

10 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:28 am

cheowyonglee


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
unless the government step in and help.Or else, i dont think table tennis culture can grow in Singapore.

At most, our MM government will just thrown in millions of dollars just to import some China players and give them IC and tell the world they are Singaporeans playing for Singapore.

LOL LOL LOL

View user profile http://www.fengshuiawareness.com

11 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Zhi4Jie


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
I personally think private TT club is going to be difficult to survive in Spore. As PingPang has pointed out, the overhead can be quite high. I really salute people like Mr Loh who is so passionate about the sport and willing to pump in huge financial resources into it Best Best Best . Although I don't know him well, from what I heard, he has been very supportive about the sport long time ago, when Jiang JiaLiang was in Spore, who started a TT training centre at Beauty World, Bukit Timah. Spore is very lucky to have people like him, IMO.

I think community centres can play a bigger role to popularize the sports. I remember sometime ago, there is an article that show survey results of top ten sports in spore. Sadly, TT is not one of them. Some of the CCs have been quite active in promoting the sports, offer it free or at low membership fees. These are the places that could reach out to more people. It's also quite encouraging to see some CC also organize some regional TT competitions.

Let's hope STTA and/or the gov could do more to promote the sports Happy

View user profile

12 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Yeevel


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Let's see if this will come to fruition by 2015:

A NEW COMMUNITY SPORTS INITIATIVE: NATIONAL NETWORK OF PASSION TABLE TENNIS CLUBS

www.stta.org.sg/Admin/viewpdf.aspx?PressRID=39

View user profile

13 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Sakuragi


National Level
National Level
there still a gap between "Passion" and "Professional".
but at least i wouldnt have to travel far to play tt after 2015.
overall it still a good start for new generation.
take my children for example : i often bring them to near by CC but there only have basketball and badminton court. there also dont have any void deck tt around my area. the only way to play tt is at 5T during evening time.
although i have introduce them tt earlier than other sport but they still prefer basketball and soccer which they can play and enjoy the sport at anytime at my place.

All project has a objective behind and hopefully it will drive this "Passion TT" to a higher level.

View user profile

14 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:02 pm

sushi


Club Level
Club Level
ZhiJie wrote:I personally think private TT club is going to be difficult to survive in Spore. As PingPang has pointed out, the overhead can be quite high. I really salute people like Mr Loh who is so passionate about the sport and willing to pump in huge financial resources into it Best Best Best . Although I don't know him well, from what I heard, he has been very supportive about the sport long time ago, when Jiang JiaLiang was in Spore, who started a TT training centre at Beauty World, Bukit Timah. Spore is very lucky to have people like him, IMO.

I think community centres can play a bigger role to popularize the sports. I remember sometime ago, there is an article that show survey results of top ten sports in spore. Sadly, TT is not one of them. Some of the CCs have been quite active in promoting the sports, offer it free or at low membership fees. These are the places that could reach out to more people. It's also quite encouraging to see some CC also organize some regional TT competitions.

Let's hope STTA and/or the gov could do more to promote the sports Happy

i think the promotion of the sports has to be both from the people and also from the media.
Indeed the CC has the best resources to promote TT . The reason that they are not active ,it maybe due to not enough support from the general public ... hence we need ppl with passion and commitment , to stand up to do volunteer services to help CC organise such activities.
Question here is ... how many TT players are willing and ready to stand out ?
Quite a number of CCs which i had checked on previously do not have ppl who have enough knowledge of TT to take up the role ,
The other was bcoz table tennis table rental rates / hr cost S$3.00 where Badminton courts can cost as much as S$6.00/hr . CCs tend also to weigh their returns when it came to revenue collections . thirdly : CCs have much higher bookings and demands for Badminton over TT . That is a fact .

So .... to all TT lovers out here in the Forum , help promote TT now , volunteer your services at your nearest CC today !!!

The future of TT begins here !
Put your PASSION into ACTION without any delay .
if we, the enthusiasts , the passionate , the die hard players in this forum do not stand up for TT .....who else would ???


View user profile

15 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:31 pm

cheowyonglee


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
sushi wrote:
ZhiJie wrote:I personally think private TT club is going to be difficult to survive in Spore. As PingPang has pointed out, the overhead can be quite high. I really salute people like Mr Loh who is so passionate about the sport and willing to pump in huge financial resources into it Best Best Best . Although I don't know him well, from what I heard, he has been very supportive about the sport long time ago, when Jiang JiaLiang was in Spore, who started a TT training centre at Beauty World, Bukit Timah. Spore is very lucky to have people like him, IMO.

I think community centres can play a bigger role to popularize the sports. I remember sometime ago, there is an article that show survey results of top ten sports in spore. Sadly, TT is not one of them. Some of the CCs have been quite active in promoting the sports, offer it free or at low membership fees. These are the places that could reach out to more people. It's also quite encouraging to see some CC also organize some regional TT competitions.

Let's hope STTA and/or the gov could do more to promote the sports Happy

i think the promotion of the sports has to be both from the people and also from the media.
Indeed the CC has the best resources to promote TT . The reason that they are not active ,it maybe due to not enough support from the general public ... hence we need ppl with passion and commitment , to stand up to do volunteer services to help CC organise such activities.
Question here is ... how many TT players are willing and ready to stand out ?
Quite a number of CCs which i had checked on previously do not have ppl who have enough knowledge of TT to take up the role ,
The other was bcoz table tennis table rental rates / hr cost S$3.00 where Badminton courts can cost as much as S$6.00/hr . CCs tend also to weigh their returns when it came to revenue collections . thirdly : CCs have much higher bookings and demands for Badminton over TT . That is a fact .

So .... to all TT lovers out here in the Forum , help promote TT now , volunteer your services at your nearest CC today !!!

The future of TT begins here !
Put your PASSION into ACTION without any delay .
if we, the enthusiasts , the passionate , the die hard players in this forum do not stand up for TT .....who else would ???



Look at the U.K.They are doing a good job in promoting the table tennis.And their ranking?Far below Singapore.So what's goes wrong here?It's the higher high management!Not our fault too!

View user profile http://www.fengshuiawareness.com

16 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Guest


Guest
i think what Sushi meant was in order to promote the game , both the guys on the floor and the guys high high up there must work hand in hand . i believe if the responses and support from public is strong the message would be clearer and the high high people will surely bow if enough pressure is given in for a good cause .

I agree with sushi that at this moment the shortest way to promote the game would certainly be our Community Centres .

If we have 10 supporters like Mr.Loh of Happy we should see table tennis happy happy promotions leow .

By the way ,UK tt is a Profession we are not even near that level .

17 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:14 pm

cheowyonglee


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
pingpang wrote:i think what Sushi meant was in order to promote the game , both the guys on the floor and the guys high high up there must work hand in hand . i believe if the responses and support from public is strong the message would be clearer and the high high people will surely bow if enough pressure is given in for a good cause .

I agree with sushi that at this moment the shortest way to promote the game would certainly be our Community Centres .

If we have 10 supporters like Mr.Loh of Happy we should see table tennis happy happy promotions leow .

By the way ,UK tt is a Profession we are not even near that level .

Very very agree!Our government only know how to import players from China to get quick result but when come to promoting table tennis, they are like mind blank of ideas or rather too lazy to promote??? cry cry cry

2 very good video on promoting Ping Pong Ball!!!



Watch this one... really very worth recalling their best shot!

View user profile http://www.fengshuiawareness.com

18 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:48 pm

dryvuuu

avatar
International Level
International Level
You'd be surprised to find out that members in the UK tt forums also blame their government for their lack of effort in promoting tt & treating it as a minority sport. I'm not sure if people realise that playing the blame game isn't going to solve anything.

View user profile

19 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Sakuragi


National Level
National Level
'Totally Step In' by the government - this is a negative idea !
The only thing can blame is ourselves which not do good enough.

View user profile

20 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:03 pm

sushi


Club Level
Club Level
Sakuragi wrote:'Totally Step In' by the government - this is a negative idea !
The only thing can blame is ourselves which not do good enough.

 How can we or what can we do if we need to help promote Table Tennis in Singapore ? 

 Got any inspirations or experiences or interesting ideas to share from you , Sakuragi  ?  from a Mature player , a Parent as well as an interested party , how can they help or what can they do to help ?

From Mr.Lee Cheow Yong , how can the English Experience help us or inspire us in terms of promoting the game ?

My experience in setting up the Li-Ning Age Group Competition had shown very positive responds from both Parents and players out there , many were urging me to keep the ball rolling and wishing for more .

Registrations were overwhelming , but we were unable to cater for more because of time, staff and space constraints . Such is the ground reactions from the general public towards TT .

I think if more of us players whom are willing to volunteer , the job of promoting TT in Singapore should not be a difficult one . yipi yipi

View user profile

21 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:09 am

MsiaBoleh


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Hi Sushi.
My two cents worth and straight to the point is,It is not going to work unless the mindset of our Table Tennis populace at both ends change drastically.Seriously why should parents send their kids to your club or why should TT enthusiast go to your club regularly?

Take for example those China coaches contracted by the Government/STTA that train students at Sports Center throughout Singapore, they(China Coaches) have got a money making haven even without everything that you guys here are trying to promote to get members.Isn't it an irony that those plain old street smart coaches outwitted even the best brainstorming team of yours to the ground.They get paid for ther coaching services from STTA and at the same time from  those parents who agree to have extra lessons for their kids as recommended by the China Coaches.Mind you their fees may range from $75- $150 per hour.

So the government is willing to promote this sport to our young population at all costs.Are you willing to do that?

I have been to places like 5T (Tampines),Yishun Sports Hall and Nee Soon East CC, these places are run by TT enthusiast .I know 5T has the best value for money in terms of Venue access,Interior environment and cost to players.I suggest you talk to them(Mr.Rudy or Mr Wong) if you wish to get ideas because they are in it and knows what they are talking about when it comes to setting up a TT community.A few players there take about 1hour and 15 minutes by MRT and bus just to get there all the way from the west.

Private places like Kaki Bukit(Happy) owned by Mr.Loh but managed mainly by FT bangla and indo maid or Eunos (Copytron) owned and managed by Mr.Terry Tan former STTA president are a little  pricey in terms of membership costs although Copytron attracted most of the previous SAGE members.

Another good venue that operates only on Sunday mornings from 10am - 2pm is at Qiao Nan Primary School.This place is run by Mr.Lauy Poh Soon(STTA VP veterans Section). 10 tables ,good lighting and cool environment good parking facilities.On the normal Sundays good crowd of best veterans of 30 and pre-tournament season it can go up to 45 where the waiting time can be a pain.
Hope this helps.

View user profile

22 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:02 pm

TT_Penholder


Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Real estate in SNG is expensive to maintain, to have a club for any sport (not only TT) need $$...and good venues attract big crowd, you can be there for 3 hours but probably play for 1/2 hr or so....

View user profile

23 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:42 pm

sushi


Club Level
Club Level
Hi MsiaBoleh , tho a Msian ,you r indeed Spore boleh :)  looks like you have done much ground work and seem to know the ground situation pretty well .
Those groups or places that you have mentioned , together with the Zone training centres and STTA PCF programmes are indeed very good examples of people in our society promoting the sport .
 
I still think there are more room for improvement as every cluster or community begin to have some awareness of the sport . Availability and easy access to table tennis facilities still remained as one of the shortfall in helping to promote the sport .

Having to set up a club can be very expensive and very tough to maintain in Singapore , unless our Businessman Community amongst us can come together to pool in all resources , without which , resting on 1-few private owners is definitely not going to work .

Back in the 60s I was told  there were many supportive Businessmen whom forked out $ and effort to set up clubs for TT players , unfortunately these Clubs closed soon upon their demised sadly without continuation .

Do we have these people amongst our current TT cohort ?

View user profile

24 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:34 pm

dryvuuu

avatar
International Level
International Level
MsiaBoleh wrote:I know 5T has the best value for money in terms of Venue access,Interior environment and cost to players.I suggest you talk to them(Mr.Rudy or Mr Wong) if you wish to get ideas because they are in it and knows what they are talking about when it comes to setting up a TT community.A few players there take about 1hour and 15 minutes by MRT and bus just to get there all the way from the west.
Is it time to increase the fee? laugh 

My members' list shows there are more non-Tampines players than Tampines based players! 75-25% Shocked

View user profile

25 Re: table tennis clubhouse survey on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 pm

oldhuang


newbie
actually there are two clubhouses quite near each other in east, one at Copytron and one at Bukit Kaki. But don't have a similar one in the west side. Hope someone can open one in the west, somewhere between Clementi and Boonlay.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum