sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Umpire Course

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Umpire Course on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:28 am

Antiq

Anyone else attending the 14 to 25 Jun Umpire course?

This course is rather interesting, so I was awake throughout the lesson despite after a day of hard work. Other than learning the rules and regulations, dos and don't, case studies. You also get to discover some interesting info... e.g. You can actually play barefooted, count the scores in any language, blar blar blar..

I also discover that close to 90% of our serves are fault... lol

Btw, I was there attending with 3 other forummers or ex-forummers... wonder who else... : )

So anybody interested to get me to umpire your match... got early bird discount...lol

My setup:

Custom blade/H8/Skyline 360 
Sword Blue Feather/H8/Skyline 360
View user profile

2 Re: Umpire Course on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Antiq wrote:You can actually play barefooted, count the scores in any language, blar blar blar..
I only realised about the 'count the scores in any language' when I was watching one of the Brazil Open's matches & of course from reading your post.

View user profile

3 Re: Umpire Course on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Yeevel

Beginner Level
Beginner Level

by ttplayer92 from www.mytabletennis.net

This is an extreme case, but did they share anything about how this bat would be legal? How about those with just a bit of topsheet chipped off on the sides?

View user profile

4 Re: Umpire Course on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Zovier

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
i,ve seen something worse.. i think in recreational play is still acceptable..

View user profile

5 Re: Umpire Course on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Mine is in the other extreme case - rubbers larger than the blade! When I was playing one of the senior guys at Sengkang last year he told me that I wouldn't be allowed to play in the Community Games with a bat like that. I told him I had used the same bat in 3 matches at the CG so far & nobody said anything but he just wouldn't accept it. dunno

I'm not well versed in the rules & regulations but as long as the umpires & opponents didn't object to what you are using then it's legal. Wink

View user profile

6 Re: Umpire Course on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Antiq

Haha, answer below from a half pass umpire.... For now.

Yeevel's bat is illegal!
Reason Is that the rubber shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and griped by the dinges may be left uncovered or covered with any material.

Chipped edges are illegal, but if only a bit then depend on umpire judgement.

Dryvuu's bat also illegal, because the rubber extend beyond the blade. But some umpire don't bother too much if only extend a bit, e.g. <2mm I think.

Our CG umpire not very strict, maybe they know many players are non-competitive players.

My setup:

View user profile

7 Re: Umpire Course on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:38 am

Yeevel

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Antiq wrote:Haha, answer below from a half pass umpire.... For now.

Yeevel's bat is illegal!
Reason Is that the rubber shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and griped by the dinges may be left uncovered or covered with any material.

Chipped edges are illegal, but if only a bit then depend on umpire judgement.

Dryvuu's bat also illegal, because the rubber extend beyond the blade. But some umpire don't bother too much if only extend a bit, e.g. <2mm I think.

Our CG umpire not very strict, maybe they know many players are non-competitive players.

Thanks for the update!

However, I'm also curious to know what the objective of umpiring is that STTA imparts to new umpires? To create the fairest environment for both sides of the table? To try to let both sides have the most fun possible? Or simply just adhering to ITTF's rules?

In the spirit of competition, it'd be ideal not to put off potential competitors just because they can't afford new rubbers because their present rubbers have worn out or shrunken. I'm guessing that's probably why ITTF allows barefoot playing, since there might be players who can't afford shoes. I hear of parents changing rubbers for their kids every month just because they have chipped topsheets and STTA won't allow them into competitions for that. As an umpire, what would be your call?

View user profile

8 Re: Umpire Course on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:22 am

Antiq

I think STTA is trying to beef up their umpires and referees... to support International events. The following is the extract of a umpire's job.

"... primary duty is to decide the result of each rally. In principle, the umpire has no discretionary powers, but he or she is required to exercise judgment in applying some laws and regulations, such as deciding whether a rally should be a let because a player’s service or return may have been affected by circumstances outside the player’s control, or whether a player’s behaviour is acceptable."

IMO, when it comes to competition, whether it is fun really depends on individual. In the spirit of competition, some referees do make certain leeway.. (Btw, there is a different between referee and umpire. Simpily, Umpire report to Refereee)

[[I hear of parents changing rubbers for their kids every month just because they have chipped topsheets and STTA won't allow them into competitions for that. As an umpire, what would be your call?]]

My take... I don't think there are competitions every month (or maybe I'm not aware). STTA should know the ITTF rule and regulations, and you only need to apply it when participating in competitions. So the parents may not be aware of such info. And parents are probably giving their kids the best stuff : ) thinking this is the right thing to do.

Actually, if you are playing very often, you can use the following rule of thumb. (e.g. play 6 time per week, you are recommended to change rubber every 2 month :) ) You might want to help educate the parents if you know them :)

A Good Rule of Thumb:
[# of days played/week] = [# of times to change/year]

My setup:

View user profile

9 Re: Umpire Course on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:27 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
I hope you won't be the umpire in any of my future matches. I know you will definitely ask me to cut off my 'oversize' rubbers! laugh

You're not allowed to play without footwear in sports halls so how can you actually play without one? dunno

View user profile

10 Re: Umpire Course on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Antiq

dryvuuu wrote:I hope you won't be the umpire in any of my future matches. I know you will definitely ask me to cut off my 'oversize' rubbers! laugh

Haha, I'll be super on the ball.... Will prepare the yellow and red card for you LOL

dryvuuu wrote:You're not allowed to play without footwear in sports halls so how can you actually play without one? dunno

Is it? Maybe this don't apply to sg. I think the laws are made general, to cater for players from other poorer country.

My setup:

View user profile

11 Re: Umpire Course on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:10 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
In the interest of making table tennis a 'classier' & on par with the other 'fashionable' sports I think tt players must not play without footwear unless of course it's just for fun like kids playing at the void decks.

Antiq wrote:Haha, I'll be super on the ball.... Will prepare the yellow and red card for you LOL
You can't show me the cards as I'm on the bench! tongue laugh

View user profile

12 Re: Umpire Course on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

Antiq

On the bench also can... if I caught you talking to the players (under certain condition)... lol...

My setup:

View user profile

13 Re: Umpire Course on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Ay it looks like you're hell-bent on giving me the cards! Shocked laugh

By the way if the one of the players isn't happy with the umpire what is he/she supposed to do? Call the referee to step in?

View user profile

14 Re: Umpire Course on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 am

Antiq

dryvuuu wrote:Ay it looks like you're hell-bent on giving me the cards! Shocked laugh

You will know if I get to umpire your game ... LOL LOL

dryvuuu wrote: By the way if the one of the players isn't happy with the umpire what is he/she supposed to do? Call the referee to step in?

Player may appeal to referee on a question of interpretation of Laws and regulation by match officials, not any other things. Referee's decision will be final.

My setup:

View user profile

15 Re: Umpire Course on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:35 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
I think calling the referee is of no use. He/she will most likely side with the umpire.

Anyway to further test you ( laugh ) is this bat legal?

View user profile

16 Re: Umpire Course on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Antiq

dryvuuu wrote:I think calling the referee is of no use. He/she will most likely side with the umpire.
big smile

dryvuuu wrote:
Anyway to further test you ( laugh ) is this bat legal?

No. Rubber covering not suppose to extend beyond the limits of the blade. Pro players are supposed to know the laws and regulation. But the official umpiring the game has to make the call on the spot, and he may give certain allowance, but from the photo it seems too much allowance was given.

More question pls, good to practice before actual test. Lol

My setup:

View user profile

17 Re: Umpire Course on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:26 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Of course Boll's bat is legal & so is mine! Wink laugh

Have a look at this video. Is the umpire correct? Why the yellow card?
This video also reinforces my point earlier 'calling the referee is of no use he/she will most likely side with the umpire'.

View user profile

18 Re: Umpire Course on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Antiq

It seems that the ball was block by the server's head when he serve. So a warming was given. Maybe the player show disrespect to match official, so a yellow card was then given ( can't understand what they are saying) Subsequently the player challenge the umpire for fault serve, he was given a yellow and red card.

For timo boll's racket, the covering look illegal leh... Wonder there are any other certified umpire can comment...

My setup:

View user profile

19 Re: Umpire Course on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
If you look at the pictures on this thread: Pro Players' Bats you can see that quite a number of the players had their rubbers cut slightly bigger than their blade - it actually means tuned & boosted laugh
Probably the umpires just closed one eye on this thing (rubber bigger than blade) these days.

For Baum's case. This is my just opinion. I don't see him disrespecting the umpire. He was just probably confused & unhappy that his serves were deemed as foul only on one side of the table but not on the other (facing the camera) even though the serves were the same. Inconsistency on the part of the umpire. He should be shown the yellow not Baum! tongue laugh

View user profile

20 Re: Umpire Course on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:14 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Is the umpire correct for not calling 'foul serve'? Most of the serves especially from Shibaev are illegal. Worse than Baum's.

Very good match though.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]