sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eleven Zero

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Eleven Zero on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:50 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
I believe there's such a thing as gentlemen's agreement amongst the pros that they should give away a point to their opponents once they have a 10-0 lead in a game.
In this match against Timo Boll, Ma Lin was leading 3-1 & 10-0 in the 5th game. He tried to serve long to give a point to Boll but the ball went in instead.
In our ordinary world of table tennis would you give away a point to your opponent once you have a 10-0 lead?

View user profile

2 Re: Eleven Zero on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:23 pm

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
Let me share wth u my son's experience during his tournament in Angby , Stockholm Sweden .

He was at the group stage of the under 12 Championships , when this French No.1 Boy happened to play an opponent from Italy .

He out right thrashed the poor chap 11-0 , 11-0 ,11-2 in the best of 5 .
Happily he returned to his Coach after the match ...
to the player's astonishment , he was delivered a
sterned and loud verbal warning followed by punishment. He was made to face the wall for the rest of the time, while his Team mates rested !!!

My son knew immediately that it was a punishment served for being over arrogant , non sportsmanship and out right humiliation of another player ....
That is a message to stress the point to all players , to remember to win in grace with good game etiquette....

My son learnt a very useful lesson there !

Last edited by sushi on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

3 Re: Eleven Zero on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Yuna

Club Level
Club Level
i would relax a little and be lenient once score is 8-0.
usually opponent wun be so bad that he cannot take at least a point
from me. not that i am a very good player but sometimes u get
to play match with a beginner. then how?? relak lo. yes

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=551139599

4 Re: Eleven Zero on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Zovier

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Ya. Just try something different when I in big lead so he can win some points too.. I'm thrashed by someone 11-0 before n I vow not to lose him again..

View user profile

5 Re: Eleven Zero on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 pm

Antiq

I would take it easy man... it is after all a game. If you win big, you let go some balls lah.. If you lose big, work harder loh..

For the younger players, it is indeed important to teach them the right value!!!

My setup:

Custom blade/H8/Skyline 360 
Sword Blue Feather/H8/Skyline 360
View user profile

6 Re: Eleven Zero on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:34 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
I believe in fighting for & earning the point rather than it being given to you (intentionally). In other others for eg. tennis, it's quite common to see players lose or win 6-0 (in a set). I've never seen them giving away a set or a 'point' if they were leading 40-0 in a game.

View user profile

7 Re: Eleven Zero on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 pm

sushi

Club Level
Club Level

it is easy to lose few points in a row ,like in tennis , hence ending with zero is very common , but to lose straight 11 points in a game in TT is rare and unusual ....
it showed the great disparity in the standard of the players ....

In Ma lin vs Timo , that could be psychological , lapse in concentration , lost morale and top form on the part of Ma Lin .
i felt sorry for Timo ... i guess it was the same for Ma Lin too .....

View user profile

8 Re: Eleven Zero on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:33 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
"To lose straight 11 points in tt is rare & unusual" because the pro tt players will not let that happen. Everytime a player leads 10-0 he/she will automatically give away a point to the opponent. If Ma Lin didn't make that "mistake" & served long as intended then Boll would have received 1 point.

Tennis is a more "ruthless" sport - no free points or games whatsoever you have to fight for every point. To hammer & give your opponent a "perfect zero" in a set is much more difficult but it happens. In order to win a set 6-0 you've got to "break your opponents serves 3 games & defend your serves 3 games". Each game consists a minimum of "4 points" (15-0, 30-0, 40-0 then game if it's a "straight game") or even more. So all in all you've got to go through a lot of "points & games" before you achieve a 6-0. It is not as straight forward as 11-0 in table tennis.

Anyway that is tennis. If we want to give 11-0 to fellow tt players on their bad day then we must be able to take 11-0 on our bad day as well. If you can give you can take! laugh

View user profile

9 Re: Eleven Zero on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 pm

eugene

Ma Lin lose 11-0 in a set before. It is just one set or two, no need to take it too seriously.

Interestingly in the recent WTTC Women Group Final against FTW, Ding Ning gave away 1 point after she lead by 10-0 in a set, but FTW never gave up and chased back a few points straight in a row. Either the china coaches or the captain were commented that to give a point also depend who is your opponent. He is not so agreed with what Ding Ning did.

Side topic, same tournament but this time Men Group Final ZJK vs Timo, in set 3 ZJK admitted to the umpire the point was given wrongly to him as Timo serve touched the net. After that Timo managed to take the set. LGL commented that ZJK should pretend didn't see it.

View user profile

10 Re: Eleven Zero on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
What ZJK did was commendable. Winning 'honestly' is the 'right way' to win. To 'pretend not to see things' can be considered as cheating.

The Ding Ning & FTW case you brought up is quite a good example. What if FTW were to level the score at 10-10 after being given a point earlier?

View user profile

11 Re: Eleven Zero on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:44 pm

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
i guess LGL wld meant as a joke when he commented on being " tay seow " pretend never see ... to cheat the extra point .
It will be very short sighted on his part if he did .... coming fm a sports icon like him .

View user profile

12 Re: Eleven Zero on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm

eugene

After second read from the news, you guys r right. lgl was happy with zjk sportsmanship, however he commented that it broke the momentum due to interruption and boll adapt faster than zjk in that situation.

Source:
http://sports.sohu.com/20120401/n339627087.shtml
(Sorry for those couldn't read chinese :P)

View user profile

13 Re: Eleven Zero on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:17 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
sushi wrote:It will be very short sighted on his part if he did .... coming fm a sports icon like him .
True. It would be inappropriate for a sports icon & a role model to encourage 'cheating'.

View user profile

14 Re: Eleven Zero on Mon May 28, 2012 3:15 pm

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
In the recent China Open, Ma Long was leading 10-0 in the 2nd game against Taku Takakiwa when he intentionally returned serve into the net to give Taku a point.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum