sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you seal your blade?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Do you seal your blade? on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 am

Antiq

An extract from tabletennis.about.com.

Why Do You Need to Seal Your Table Tennis Blade?
Why should you bother sealing your ping-pong blade? After all, it's a messy and fiddly process, so is it really worth it?
Rest assured that it is. If your blade isn't sealed, you run the risk of pulling wood splinters from the surface every time you remove a rubber. Since most of us change rubbers every 3 to 6 months (not to mention the speed gluers who remove the rubber every time they play), if you don't seal your blade you can end up with a playing surface that looks like someone has been gouging it with a nail file - not a good thing!

====
Just to share, since I've been sealing all my playing blades..IMO, the sealing (1 to 2 very thin layer) may harden the top ply a tiny bit, but it does help to protect your blade surface and it don't really affect your blade ...

I actually apply a few more layers on the wings and sides to protect my blade from sweats :)

Something that you want to consider to lengthen the lifespan of your blade and also keep your blade in mint condition :)

My setup:

Sword Blue Feather/Rhyzm/Rakza 7 Soft
Yinhe T9/Maze green/Scylla OX
Custom JLC cpen/Spectol/?
View user profile

2 Re: Do you seal your blade? on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:24 am

Antiq

To add, I only used Xiom Isure water based sealant, never try other brands.

Do not used lacquer, their usually much thicker..

My setup:

Sword Blue Feather/Rhyzm/Rakza 7 Soft
Yinhe T9/Maze green/Scylla OX
Custom JLC cpen/Spectol/?
View user profile

3 Re: Do you seal your blade? on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:03 am

cede1975

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
I'm using andro sealer. i spread 1 layer on bat face let this dry thoroughly, sand it down using fast circular lapping motion; wipe clean and re-seal a quick layer, and lightly sand it even.

on my hh 656 i did 4 layers of seal-sanding because the bat face has more micro-cavity.

my purpose is just to fill up the micro-cavity and apply a very thin layer of seal just so not to affect the hardness/feel of bat face too much.

as for the sides i usually do 2 full brush layers of seal, or more.

View user profile

4 Re: Do you seal your blade? on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:24 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
I've used resin-based varnish, hair spray & recently lacquer spray to seal my blades - these are not high end expensive blades so it doesn't matter much what I use as long as my blades are sealed. tongue

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum