sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Singapore will not make it even to the top 6 after Feng's era ?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

wytaaan

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Yup, I agree. With a population of more than 1 billion, it's just easier to source for kids who are talented in TT. I'm sure there are thousands and thousands of rejected kids/youths, but it just so happens that their population is so large, it's definitely easier for them to get 10 good CNT members from maybe 50000 provincial players all over the country.

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
Fyi... each day there is about 10M chinese playing all over the country !!!

View user profile

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Sakuragi wrote:Fyi... each day there is about 10M chinese playing all over the country !!!

I was told there is only 25,000 table tennis players in Singapore, excluding those that secretly play at home like me, which is quite few.

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
25k, then each day how many r playing?
If we got 1 talent player , they got 200 (base on the ratio)
Then how long we have to wait for 1 talented player? 1yr 10 or more
But to them is every yr !

Btw do u think we can follow their system?
But in the first place, do u agree to this kind of system?
If the ans is yes, then why only tt.it can implement on many other sport. soccer will implement first because it is always the hottest sport here.

Back to topic : the sport school system , how many children will be national tt players ?

View user profile

More ppl play , better chances of producing good players . That is one assumption , but we must have a good training programme in place as well .
India is another example , it has a huge population , but very few good table tennis players .
For Singapore to succeed with local bred players , not only do we need a good training programme , most importantly measures , campaigns to encourage , the Govt / Public support for the sport , to bring up the population of table tennis players here .
1x good suggestion : For Boys whom invested more than 8 years or 9000 training hours from 7 years old till 17 years old , they be exempted from National Service by 12 months , instead of serving 2 years 6 mths , they only needed to do 1 and the half years of NS .
For girls , they have to stick to their CCA from 7 years old till 16 years old in order that their Parent/Household get better tax rebates .
Terms and conditions apply : they must be trained under the STTA training programmes , endorsed by a log card which clocked their mileage .
This way , looking across the student population , by average 16 years old , almost all those whom had stuck to the programme will be above average intermediate skilled players , professional/state level ( minimum 10,000 training hours) .
They will be mature enough to judge from then if they would pursue another 2000 hrs to make it into International Arena . ( maybe turn pro / trainer/coach )

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Good scheme. To further catch the parents attention, should add sports as an additional subject, and students will be rated as follows:
International Level: A
National Level: B
School Level: C
Class Level: D
Count the sports subject as part of the aggregate to enter secondary, JC and University, suddenly you see parents signing up their children for all kinds of sports coaching!

View user profile

It is quite a sad scene in Sports School , as almost 90% of our best TT juniors have chosen to opt for Academic Excellence over TT programme .
Reasons are simple : where is the route heading to ? Parents' greatest concerns is in the future career path of their child , unless both the Govt and the School are able to carve out a future out of this programme , where both Parent and Child could see light in the tunnel , this programme is set to be heading towards some major set backs later .
The current laughing stock is SSS whom competed in National Schools Tournament were unable to dominate the sport, losing out to school like Raffles Institution where 70% of the Ex YDS squad and current NYT players are .
If SSS wishes to retrieve their pride , they have to work real hard to come out with better assurance to win the confidence of Parents and players .

wytaaan

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
http://www.experttabletennis.com/why-is-china-so-good-at-table-tennis/

i thought this was an interesting read, if you're interested in the views of this coach. I was quite surprised by the 'individual training partners' thing, where they have specify training partners that play like timo boll n other top players.

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
good link n very informatics

View user profile

wytaaan wrote:http://www.experttabletennis.com/why-is-china-so-good-at-table-tennis/

i thought this was an interesting read, if you're interested in the views of this coach. I was quite surprised by the 'individual training partners' thing, where they have specify training partners that play like timo boll n other top players.

The KEY word is Time . 5-7 hours daily !!!! Can our children afford it ? Will our Parents approve it ? Yes , maybe got some chance , NO ? .... seems only fastest and easiest solution is to import them ...... so Foreign import is whose fault ?

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
Why ask for moon if u cannot build your own racket !

Even u buy racket from other nation, send our country flag to the moon, does that really mean something ?

Why so important?
Buy if they think that very important , if not - then save $$$ for poor.

View user profile

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Just that Sportsman / woman is in the limelight, but actualy import of foreign talents consist of other skills, eg. doctors, research scientiest, bankers etc.
The govt. do give money to the poor, but it is never enough and never meant to be enough. As they explained, they do not want to give everything in the surplus budget away and end up having to use the reserves.
Just my personal observation, not trying to defend PAP

View user profile

Pingpang wrote:The KEY word is Time . 5-7 hours daily !!!! Can our children afford it ?
Will our Parents approve it ? Yes , maybe got some chance , NO ? ....
seems only fastest and easiest solution is to import them ...... so
Foreign import is whose fault ?

Well the sound of it i.e. our local paddlers not being able to excel internationally seems to be pointing to sgporeans or gahmen as you like to put it?One thing for sure the foreign imports got nothing to do with inputs or feedbacks from grassroots sg it's the decision of the national body.They been brainstorming for a couple of years how to put our lil red dot into the international pp arena.

Sakuragi wrote:Why ask for moon if u cannot build your own racket !

Even u buy racket from other nation, send our country flag to the moon, does that really mean something ?

Why so important?
Buy if they think that very important , if not - then save $$$ for poor.
Look at Honda/Yamaha in World Moto GP Racing, japs design and build them , it is the Foreign Riders like Valentino Rossi , Nicky Hayden , colin Edwards , Ben spies , dani Pedrosa , almost 100% foreign riders that brought up their championship standings
.Japan so big , how come cannot find riders ? Why so important ? .... its the Branding .
Singapore needs branding2 ! , so investors have confidence to make investments , the wealthy can feel safe to live here , the internal economy can flourish , you will get your pay raised !
Save for the Poor ? Like Pitachu mentioned , they did help , but not very much tho . Maybe the Govt should try to put in more effort to do more for the poor .
they did not do enough for the poor , not becoz they spent all their $ on FT .......

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
i dont means the govt dont help the poor ... just that saving is good regardless u are rich or poor. spend when necessary !!!

honda , yamaha is a company - branding is important but is very costly n toyota is withdraw since 2009

spore need branding 2 - yes but take how long n what is the cost ?
if u gather all the FT of sport (not just tt) that is a very huge amount of money !

FT providing service to us and represent us are 2 totally different things.

look at the topic : "Singapore will not make it even to the top 6 after Feng's era ?"
if we replace Feng to FT then it will become "

Singapore will not make it even to the top 6 after FT's era ? "

sad to see this kind of question being ask.

View user profile

I think you have misunderstood the branding issue , FTs are not brought in blindly , they have to forgo their Nationality and become 100% Singaporean2 . These FTs are not only providing their services , they are serving the Country repaying them for providing a new lease of Life to them in return . FTs that can catapult the reputation of Singapore are at current , restricted to Sports like TT , Bowling , Sailing and Badminton .
I am sure the Country knows how to manage their Talents and place their stakes well . Singapore had achieved economic excellence thru its sound Banking and Finance System , they are extending their reputations into Education , Medical , Research and Development as well , hence to top it up as a Nation with Sporting excellence would have been the natural thing to do .
Just asked any Businessman whom had ventured abroad if they have been well respected in the foreign land , you will almost hear this unanimous reply :
Singaporeans are well respected by being law abiding , honest and sincere , by their business partners overseas . Respects are earned not self proclaimed .

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
Ftw become a singaporean after joining stta for how many months ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feng_Tianwei

also will ljw stay or go back to beijing ?

http://singaporesportsfan.wordpress.com/tag/foreign-sports-talents/

can local make it to the world class :
read the story of singapore sailing n bowling team.

http://singaporesportsfan.wordpress.com/singapore-boleh-local-talent-boleh/

do our local really have the opportunity ?

http://singaporesportsfan.wordpress.com/tag/singapore-table-tennis-association/

btw, do anyone know what is the percentage of foreign sports talent (FST) in singapore team ?
can we set a cap ,maybe 20% or 30% ?

http://singaporesportsfan.wordpress.com/tag/foreign-sports-talents/

finally let the time do the talking.

View user profile

IMO FTW or LJW , they are just like the Gurkhas , they are mercenary in another way .... they are paid to train to achieve at National Expense , when their job r done , they have every right to go back to their life .
Whether they stay loyal to the Country , that is something only time will tell ...
On the question of loyalty , I recalled the SEA games swimming champion, Junie Sng years ago ...... she was our very own local born and bred talent , after her National Achievements , she left for Australia ,look at the many Govt Scholars overseas had chosen to remain there , in Canada and US after many many years of Singapore Education , ...... what do you say of these people .... ? If we Singaporeans are doing this, be it out of livelihood or without choices , then isn't it the same for these FTs ?

shortpimpwhacker

Tournament Level
Tournament Level
Pingpang is right! But u need get better coaches n traing programs for the new players...
As far I knw, n there's dun nd for u to knw whr my sources r from, future is hopeless on these 'future paddlers'
Japan can do better

View user profile

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
STTF better do something.
Feng Tian Wei is now ranked no. 4, but the next player
Wang YuGu is now ranked no. 18.
Yu Mengyu is ranked 27.
How are they going to form the next Olympic team to get Silver or Bronze again at least?

View user profile

Pitachu wrote:STTF better do something.
Feng Tian Wei is now ranked no. 4, but the next player
Wang YuGu is now ranked no. 18. ( retired liao )
Yu Mengyu is ranked 27.
How are they going to form the next Olympic team to get Silver or Bronze again at least?
How huh ?.... ask all the daddy and mummy here .... ?
serious note : Lookin at our current pool ... not optimistic. What's next ? Import ....... ? or wait patiently for A STAR to be born ?

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Why can't our govt offer citizenships to players like DING Ning, LIU Shiwen, LI Xiaoxia before they become famous? I am sure they are already outstanding players when they are in school?

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
negative n totally wrong idea !

result is the pass history. if we cannot maintain the same standard then we should not get any good result which including any medal at oly.

those result in the pass is just like looking the image of the moon from the well.
it is easily disturb by a dropping leaf !!!

View user profile

Pitachu

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Sakuragi wrote:negative n totally wrong idea !

result is the pass history. if we cannot maintain the same standard then we should not get any good result which including any medal at oly.

those result in the pass is just like looking the image of the moon from the well.
it is easily disturb by a dropping leaf !!!
I disagree. Import of Foreign Talents is definitely not a wrong idea. If we restrict ourselves to only choosing from Singaporeans, we only have 5 million to choose from compared to China with 1 Billion to choose from. China have a pool 200 times larger than us.
That is why in almost all the competitions, foreign talents are allowed. Even Spain have a Chinese Table Tennis Player.
The world is much more Global now, so we must think Global if we want to compete globally. As long as we can reach for the moon, it does not matter where we reach it from, even from the bottom of the well.

View user profile

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
tt ft is cheaper if u compare to sport like soccer n basketball...i mean world stage !
that why spore can keep importing ft from china !

as long as other country follow our formula ...they can easily get to world stage n obtain any medal during oly.

Last edited by Sakuragi on Thu May 16, 2013 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum