sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Amelie Solja

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Amelie Solja on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Anyone familiar with her? I think she uses inverted rubber on the forehand and anti on the backhand. She won a bronze and a silver for girl's singles at the 2007 and 2008 world junior championships respectively. She was the no.6 player in Germany but unfortunately the German coaches didn't want her on the team as they don't believe that anti players are capable of achieving at higher levels. She's now playing for Austria.

against Li Qiangbing (AUT)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXBAEu2DK3g

against Wu Yue (USA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2aFLiHTdsU

against Wu Yang(CHN)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z9FQqi_NLU&feature=related

I ran through her ITTF records, she's beaten Feng Tianwei in 2007 and more recently, Sun Beibei. I think those unfamiliar with her style will have a very tough time against her.

2 Re: Amelie Solja on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:41 pm

joola made a rubber w her name on it specially for her i think. an anti rubber for her play style.
she may win when shes new to the scene but once people study her she cant win anymore...theres a limit to which anti spin n long pips potential. its dependent on the opponents spin. pro players are very good at anticipating this spin and they can play these people with ease after some time.

3 Re: Amelie Solja on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
good video to share.
and also a good topic to start too.

anti spin n long pips got limit potential ,they need to 'borrow' speed and spin from their opponent. 'Empty' ball returning is most effective against them.
from the video, u will see sometime her opponent put a slow and less spin to her backhand.
something like just 'tik tok' the ball over. totally an unoffensive return and even purposely
make the return higher than usual. but her opponent got a higher chancing to attack the next returning.

anti and LP are good in random spin and timing with addition of placement to confuse their opponent.

they can be offensive too ..if u see Dr N video before.

hopefully she can make herself a big name in this tt circuit.

:) :) :)

View user profile

4 Re: Amelie Solja on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:06 am

I find it quite a pity though, that the German team won't allow her to play simply because of her style. As a result, she was forced to switch associations in order for her to continue playing and now faces the ban (not sure how long, probably 5 or 7 years) from major competitions. She's only allowed to play on pro tour events now. I'm sure that with proper training and development, this style, despite it's limitations, can probably do relatively well due to it's obscurity, probably good enough for her to reach quaterfinals in the odd major event?

Unfortunately this move by the German team is just going to discourage more people from playing anti or long pips :pale:

5 Re: Amelie Solja on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:53 am

Sakuragi

National Level
National Level
Why she ganna ban?
Although rubber got limitation but that doesn't mean it totally don't work !
They should base on the result ,not the rubber or playing style.
Too short-sided n cannot see far will only shorten the life of
certain player like her.

Actually it need courage for player like her to continues this 'limitation'
playing style.

View user profile

6 Re: Amelie Solja on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:02 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
Awkward but effective style for her. It is an amazing achievement to be playing at high level & beating some very good players with that kind of style. If she learns how to twiddle her bat then all these 'empty ball' or 'borrow spin' or 'dependant on opponent's spin' kind of problems may well be reduced but this may also compromise her style/game too.

View user profile

7 Re: Amelie Solja on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:50 am

edfreakz

lol she Vs wuyang is really slow slow then sudden piak piak yipi

View user profile

8 Re: Amelie Solja on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Gonecase

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
ITTF new regulations, i think was in effect since last year. Players above a certain age change country to represent will face a 4 year ban from major titles. many ppl see this as a move to prevent the chinese from dominating the globe. lol

View user profile

9 Re: Amelie Solja on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:22 am

dryvuuu

International Level
International Level
In an exclusive interview, Amelie mentioned that she practised twiddling but in competition she rarely does it at the moment - she's working on it though (twiddling more in matches). She finds it very demanding! I kind of understand how she feels about twiddling! Wink

View user profile

10 Re: Amelie Solja on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm

As I know, her sack has nothing to do with her play style but with an argument they had.
And pimples or antispin players sure have a chance to play on high level even world class level. (Joo Se Hyuk, Kim Kyung Ah....) Especially in women category, defenders seems to have a good chance to be competitive. :)

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]