sgpingpong.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

New 17 yrs old YOG player got thrashed by 15 yrs old rising star

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

shortpimpwhacker

Tournament Level
Tournament Level
What a joke to YOG! Got the wrong player?!?

But we do have a real quality local boy finally. SEA games gold medal for local paddler soon looks possible this time. ChEn feng, zhan Jian need beware laugh  laugh 

Was only abt 10 days ago after Stta announced RI boy has qualified for YOG nanjing this aug, this 17 yr old boy somehow was far away from a 15 yr old boy from sports school in the inter sch u17 individual tournament finals. 

The route to finals were easy opponents for the YOG boy. While the sports sch boy Ethan Poh had to play against 2 china students in the quarters and semis,,however he overcame them with ease winning them by huge margins. 

The finals saw YOG boy getting outplayed totally by Ethan Poh. Totally meaning be it service returns, service, footwork, attack, speed, placements etc far surpassed the YOG boy. Was a best of 5 sets match, ended 11-5 11-3 11-5 for the last 3 sets to Ethan Poh from sports sch. Winning the YOG boy by this margin isn't what pang xue Jie or clement can do!! And he got the TT flair, more exciting than PXJ yes 

Being 15 , 2 yrs younger than YOG boy, its by no means the 2 yrs improvement to Ethan Poh will even surpass YOG boy by a larger margin....

4 yrs later, YOG seems to be too late for the local  future star TT boy. Remember, if china or Korean YOG boy cannot win spore YOG boy by that margin, it seems we do have a better 15 yr old boy who can do better than those china or korean YOG boy. He would be in sports school. Not Nanjing. Sad to say.  erf

View user profile

Andy kok

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Wow,something to look forward to,hope he does not lose interest in the sport.Do you have any videos of his play?

Anyway,I am worry that the O lvl examinations would distrupt his table tennis carrer,making him progress slower than expected.But anyway,it's something to see.Wish him best of luck!

View user profile

HNLim

I think the biggest fear is not 'O' or 'A' levels but NS.

View user profile

shortpimpwhacker

Tournament Level
Tournament Level
Ethan is from sports school. Most sports school players will continue studies in republic poly. But if he is to be top of the top u guys think he will bother abt studies and sgpore will not excuse him from 'true army training'? He will be going for trainings daily .... Haha maybe. If he is to rank world top 50 at the age of 18. Stta can propose anything. This boy is gd. Real stuffs. He won India cadet tournament in finals thrashing an Indian cadet 3-0. For info, india cadet tt boys are very gd players.

View user profile

shortpimpwhacker

Tournament Level
Tournament Level
It will be good if STTA can organize cadet international tournaments in spore indoor sports hall annually.
Giving potential young local players chances to be cheered by local tt supporters is very healthy for youth team players. To feel recognised by local supporters is what all these youth players need to be motivated to the very most.

Admin, ur pic used here looks like STTA manager THC....

Pls motivate him to get more local supporters for these youth players. Afterall humans needs more citizens to support to get the very best out of the players.

View user profile

shortpimpwhacker

Tournament Level
Tournament Level
Ethan Poh is ranked 12 under Ittf ranking for u15. 

He performed well in French and Indian open a few mths back,was one of the best achievers in these tournaments.

We are seriously looking at a world top 30 local boy in yrs to come. Over past 3 Mths this boy improves so much too. 

I am not bias for this particular player. Coaches, parents, players can see and majority agree. A local tt talent( not foreign) is here right now in spore. I do hope more can be done inorder not to waste this once in a blue moon local tt talent.

View user profile

reflecx

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/top-youth-paddler-hurt-after-punishment

"Jing Yuan pulled an arm muscle after he was allegedly made to do 100 push-ups by one of his YOG coaches, hours before he was to play in the National Inter-School Table Tennis tournament."

View user profile

sushi

Club Level
Club Level
Hi SPW , as I had told you bout YJY ,what happened earlier was true , Ethan is good but he will not be able to enjoy his glorious victory if what had happened to YJY proved the case as one that concerned the hidden agenda .

View user profile

shortpimpwhacker

Tournament Level
Tournament Level
If a 100 push-ups a few hrs before a match can really affect an athlete that much, I seriously do feel is he physically fit? 100 push ups..... 2 mins to 3 mins constant push-ups... Not 10 mins lol. Looks like NS is really essential for spore kids. 

Funny lol. 

Yjy was playing as normal an hr before the Ethan game in semi. 
But After the loss to ethan poh, he complained pain. 

Let them fight it out again in the coming games. We are jus bystanders hoping a local talent will shine. We can wait, for more of Ethan's victories. 

Ethan did beat yjy this yr march too. Being 2 yrs younger has definitely a huge advantage over yjy.
Still has a lot of rooms for improvements as compared to yjy. Tt players improves the most between 13 to 17. 

Comparing the individual sch players including players fr china, Ethan won wu Jiaqi and haoliwei very easily. Bear in mind haoliwei won Liu hang. And Liu hang won yjy last yr in finals too. Liu hang is not going to be Ethan's match at all.

Well, there are yjy supporters, as he had gained some popularity for past few yrs. like I have said, I m not bias against or for anyone. I only hope for the best of local players. I do see ethan Poh a local talent. Not only me, look at wad sports sch's emphasis is for now? Bradley, Ethan. These 2 has to be groomed with special care, y? They have real local hope.

Yjy? Nope. Tough for yjy to be up there. Duan lian Zheng had done better. But Ethan Poh has already surpass them liao. 

Wu Jiaqi, Ren ziyan, Liu hang, xiao peng, haoliwei, yjy belongs to the same category. 

Ethan Poh is higher. Y? He has it in him. Just wait for next stta tournament. 

Ethan Poh shot up since 15 Mths back. Being 2 yrs younger, common sense, current YOG boy is currently second best for u18 in spore. But we all do hope yjy do well for YOG. Thailand, Iran n India boys are good. Still has hongkong, Korea, Japan and of cos china. It will be a good experience for yjy. 

He deferred studies for 1.5 yrs for YOG. Well, he shld be rewarded for it. Our chat here will definitely not affect him. He is a semi professional player. Shld be used to public critics and praises.  tongue  tongue  tongue

Last edited by shortpimpwhacker on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

shortpimpwhacker

Tournament Level
Tournament Level
Sushi, no worries for Ethan's glorious victory. 
Even china players have admitted ethan proved to be a harder nut to crack.
Ethan poh will have many many more glorious victories over all players u18. 

Speed, footwork, placements, mentality, sharpness well abv yjy. Not based only on the match they played, its based on their tournament matches plus the safra tournament. Ethan had improved much since then. Physically , he is very well much abv yjy. 

Yjy is no doubt a very good n top player. Another Tay ji Kiat, at most another pang xue Jie. Chen feng can do the job better much better?

But can chen feng do a better job than Ethan Poh in 3 yrs or 4 yrs time? I will not wanna bet against it.

View user profile

Marksman

Whahaha, Mr spw, I received SMS from xxx that u had this post. Wow, I have read the asiaone article too. Hmm, this RI player has a very supportive mum. A very lucky child indeed. She shoot STTA, shoot YOG coach. Shoot YOG coach bias by using words like sensitive. 

The coach's view: ???

STTA view:???

LBH view:???

Ethan Poh's supporters' view:???

My view: a supportive mum always crosses the line, haha. YOG coach punish him with 100 push ups is actually a light punishment for athletes. Basketball, volleyball, badminton players do get much much heavier punishments by coaches. RI boy's mum shld let losses be and accept it. Advise and motivate her son to train up and be a better player, never turn to complain to authorities. Because in this case, she is making her son's heavy defeat look even worse, not only on the pitch but also off the pitch. 

From the mum's previous comments last year in the papers, she is very unhappy that sports sch players are treated with special training program. Well, why didnt she send her son to sports school ? Does she know the job of STTA and sports sch is to groom best players and bring out the best in them to give pride to Singapore? So , for her beloved son, Singapore will have to sacrifice programs for top young players? 

Please, I am a Singaporean. Many , like me, or like spw, hope that no matter who is it, we want a truly good local player. We simply do not care it's her RI boy or a sports sch or a neighborhood sch boy! So why would anyone need care so much for fairness to RI boys? Sports sch students have already made academic sacrifices, so they are in sports school to have a better training program!

I will definitely catch up with Ethan Poh's news and achievements. Yes, he is ranked world 12 for u15. Like spw said, he won international events too. Website news. Very impressive player indeed.

ALL THE WAY ETHAN POH! U are singapore's pride.

View user profile

Swee swee

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Have a question, what if the YOG boy wins Ethan Poh that day?
Will his mum write a letter to STTA?
Will he still miss out on his trial?
Will he let people know about his pain over 100 push ups?

If he wins, most likely is that his life will be as per normal?

View user profile

Cpen

From a not very active table tennis pt of view like me, I do think that such news on asiaone.com is being negative on singaporeans, both parents and teenagers. Lack of sportsmanship and ridiculously complain of a 100 push ups for a 17 yr old boy is never going to be a credible excuse. Will other nationalities think that singapore parents and teenagers are complain kings? Climbing over the heads of coaches? Climbing over the heads of authorities even when just because a game was lost?

View user profile

Swee swee

Beginner Level
Beginner Level
Yeah, chosen athlete complain and 'injured ' over 100 push ups. Many may think, " singapore has got no man?"

If any  foreigners think that we singaporeans can't do push-ups, please, u are wrong. Most spore males can do push ups like machines. 150 isn't a prob. Smile

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum